Washington's War Tent
General George Washington's original sleeping and office tent from the Revolutionary War was carefully preserved by generations of the Custis and Lee families following the deaths of George and Martha Washington. In 1909, Reverend W. Herbert Burk of Norristown, Pennsylvania, purchased the tent from Miss Mary Custis Lee, daughter of Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Reverend Burk considered the tent the “supreme relic of Washington” and he made it the centerpiece of an American history museum he established at Valley Forge. Reverend Burk’s Valley Forge Historical Society, the predecessor organization of the Museum of the American Revolution, served as the longtime steward of Washington’s tent.
Museum of the American Revolution