Revolutionary Do-It-Yourself Mother's Day Card CraftMay 8, 2020
Celebrate the Revolutionary mother figure in your life this Mother's Day with a do-it-yourself Mother's Day card using a centuries-old paper cutting art form.
Scherenschnitte (pronounced “sheer-en-shnit-ah”) is a German word for “scissor cuts.” In the 1700s, Germans living in America used this craft to create decorative things for their homes, featuring anything from ships to birds to hearts. Traditional paper cutters would “draw with scissors,” cutting shapes without drawing anything first.
Mother's Day Card Paper Cutting Craft
- colored paper
- markers, colored pencils, or crayons
- Fold the paper in half, using the dashed line as a guide.
- Cut out the shape following the solid line drawing.
- Unfold the paper and flip it over.
- Fold a piece of colored construction paper in half widthwise so it opens right to left.
- Glue the finished cut-out on the outer piece of colored paper. Color the cutout as desired.
- Write a message inside for the Revolutionary Mother in your life!
Download full printable PDF instructions and template for the Mother's Day card paper cutting craft. Share your creation with us @amrevmuseum on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The Mother's Day card craft was released as part of Virtual Mother's Day Weekend with the Museum, sponsored by The Haverford Trust Company and RSM. Explore more offerings from Virtual Mother's Day Weekend, including a Forgotten Revolutionaries: Camp Followers Digital Discovery Cart and a video presentation on Baroness von Riedesel.