Valance (Roof)

This long, narrow flap is called a valance. It helps shed rainwater off the roof and away from the walls, just like the overhand of a roof over a house. The red wool “binding” and cut “scalloped” design are for decoration.

Collection of the Maryland State Archives. Detail of Washington, Lafayette, & Tilghman at Yorktown. Charles Willson Peale. Oil on canvas, 1784. MSA SC 1545-1120.