General Washington’s Camp Cups
While at Verplanck’s Point, General Washington offered French officers wine. He most likely served it in silver camp cups. Washington purchased several sets of silver camp cups during the Revolutionary War for use in his field headquarters. These cups, with later commemorative inscriptions, are part of a set of twelve that descended in the Washington family with a history of having been owned and used by the Commander-in-Chief during the war. They were made by Philadelphia silversmith Edmund Milne, who also made a set of smaller camp cups for the general in August 1777.
Made by Edmund Milne
Museum of the American Revolution