Marquis de Lafayette's Brazier
This 18th-century copper and iron brazier was designed to hold hot coals and serve as a portable cooking surface. Such implements were particularly useful for military officers and their servants, who spent much of the campaign season (spring through fall) living in tents and frequently shifting the location of their encampments. This example was acquired by the Valley Forge Historical Society in 1918 with the tradition that it had been brought to America by the Marquis de Lafayette during the Revolutionary War, and that Lafayette had presented it to Henry “Light Horse Harry” Lee, a cavalry commander from Virginia.
Iron, Copper, Wood
Museum of the American Revolution