Christopher Ludwick's Cookie Board
Christopher Ludwick (1720-1801), a native of Hesse-Darmstadt in the German-speaking region of central Europe, established a bakery in Philadelphia in 1754. Ludwick later served as Superintendent of Bakers in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. His descendants carefully preserved this carved wooden cookie board or mold as a memento of their ancestor’s role in the founding of the United States. They donated it to the Valley Forge Historical Society, the Museum of the American Revolution’s predecessor organization, in 1953.
Museum of the American Revolution